Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Macaca's Other Shoe

Well, the second shoe dropped in the Senator George Macaca Allen (R-VA) yesterday. The NYTimes is reporting that he has confirmed his jewish ancestry:
The turbulent re-election campaign of Senator George Allen took another unexpected turn Tuesday when Mr. Allen, a Virginia Republican, issued a statement confirming his Jewish ancestry.
“I embrace and take great pride in every aspect of my diverse heritage, including my Lumbroso family line’s Jewish heritage, which I learned about from a recent magazine article and my mother confirmed,” Mr. Allen said in a statement.

I suppose this is a good sign. I think the delay was probably due to the need to conduct several focus groups to vet different approaches. Good use of time and moral conviction.

Before the question arose in the debate, Mr. Allen had mentioned that a grandfather had been incarcerated by the Nazis. He said in his statement that he had never known the circumstances surrounding that chapter in his family history.

Allen knew that his grandfather was in a Nazi camp but not that he was Jewish. That's odd. Not sure it passes the smell test. Did he think he had Gypsy heritage? Gay forebarers? Communists? Why did he think his grandfather was in the Nazi camp anyway?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home