Monday, November 24, 2008

Life, Liberty and a 56% fail rate.

I read over at Dailykos that a civics exam has been giving to lots of elected officials.

US elected officials scored abysmally on a test measuring their civic knowledge, with an average grade of just 44 percent, the group that organized the exam said Thursday.

Ordinary citizens did not fare much better, scoring just 49 percent correct on the 33 exam questions compiled by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI).

I took the test and scored a 29/33 which isn't so hot. I should do better than a B+ on a test of this sort. I missed questions 7, 9, 31, and 33. That said, I think my answer was correct on 31 and that 33 is a poor question with ambiguous answers.

How'd you do?

Update: after re-reading #31 I realize i just misread the second choice as increase rather than decrease (dumb) and thought it was a better choice. I am still sketched out by #33 due to it's vague wording. I had no idea than Lincoln coined of the people...I associated it with JFK who must have been quoting Lincoln. Re: 9, I got it right and was actually 30/33.

5 Comments:

At 11/24/2008 , Blogger Eli said...

I took the test last night, too. (I guess I've become a DKos junkie.) I don't remember my exactly score, but it was around a B+. Some of the free enterprise capitalism questions seemed a bit iffy. And who cares what the Puritans thought?

 
At 11/24/2008 , Blogger alisbunkmate said...

I missed the questions about which phrases came from the Gettysburg address and Thomas Jefferson's letters. Guess I should have visited the national monuments more when I lived in DC.

 
At 11/24/2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

31!

And the two I missed were for not actually reading the question carefully. There goes my future political career...

 
At 11/25/2008 , Blogger Betsy Teutsch said...

I missed four. I was relieved to at least be above average!

 
At 11/29/2008 , Blogger Stephanie said...

I got a 30/33. I agree with your comment about the last one... it makes no sense. I also missed 7 and 27. Average of 49%... that's sad.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home